Blind Landing is the untold story of one of the biggest mistakes in Olympic history.
At the 2000 Summer Olympics, the greatest gymnasts in the world gathered in Sydney, Australia in pursuit of the ultimate prize: gold in the all-around final. But in the midst of the competition, something inexplicable and unprecedented happened that derailed the event — a mistake that changed the gymnasts’ lives forever. Through original interviews with Olympic gymnasts, coaches and officials, Blind Landing tells the untold true story of one of the biggest mistakes in Olympic history.
The New York Times: 6 Podcasts to Whet Your Appetite for the Olympics
Elle Magazine: Inside The Biggest Gymnastics Mistake In Olympics History
LA Review Of Books: Blind Landing: A Thoughtful Exploration of an Olympics Controversy
Inside Gymnastics: Blind Landing Podcast Revisits Sydney Vault Controversy
The Wall Street Journal: AdvertiseCast Announces Exclusive Relationship with “Blind Landing” Podcast Miniseries
ABC Radio National (Australian Public Radio): Sporty Podcast – Olympic Gymnastics Stuff-Up: Allana Slater Interview (starts at 1:00)
Slate: The Waves Podcast – The Olympics Are Still Sexist. Can We Enjoy Them Anyway? (starts at 33:19)
KQED: Forum Podcast – Tell Us Your Podcast Recommendations (starts at 30:14)
The Guardian: Hear Here – Podcasts of the Week
Great Pods: Podcast Picks Of The Week
Inside Radio: Podcasting Goes To The Tokyo Olympics
Earbuds Podcast Collective: Olympics & Sports Stories
The Gist: #366 – Olympics Edition (7.22.2021)
Keelin Reviews: Podcast Review – Blind Landing
Pod People: Issue No. 59
Circularity Weekly: Inside the Olympics
- EPISODE ONEElise Ray, America’s top gymnast, qualified for the 2000 Olympics with big dreams — but during the all-around final, high expectations clashed with reality and came crashing down. Literally.…
- EPISODE TWOThe story of the 2000 women’s gymnastics all-around final picks up with Australian gymnast Allana Slater. In the midst of the competition, Allana realized that it was no coincidence…
- EPISODE THREEThe officials tried to solve the vault problem. Their decision had major consequences for everyone in the arena — but no one more so than the frontrunner, Russia’s Svetlana…
- EPISODE FOURRomanian gymnast Maria Olaru discusses how the vault problem might have been stopped before it even started. Olympic officials explain what was happening behind the scenes. Episode transcript ARI…
- EPISODE FIVEOn the final episode of Blind Landing, British gymnast Lisa Mason reflects on the culture she trained in. Elise and Allana discuss the impact that the Sydney Olympics had…
Host & Editor
Ari is a multimedia journalist and reporter. Currently, he’s a fellow for This American Life. Before that, he was an assistant producer at KPCC. His work has appeared in The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal and New York Magazine among other publications.
Christian is the lead health reporter and audio producer at Carolina Public Press.
Myka is a freelance writer and reporter. Her stories have appeared on KPCC and KCRW, the Los Angeles NPR affiliate stations.
Jessica Taylor Price
Jessica is a freelance sports writer. Her work has appeared in Teen Vogue, ESPNW, and Bleacher Report. She is also the gymnastics writer for the women’s sports newsletter The IX.
Get in touch
Have a message for the creators of Blind Landing?
Email email@example.com or send a message in the contact form.
Follow us on social: