Blind Landing takes listeners inside the world of elite gymnastics.
At the 2000 Summer Olympics, the greatest gymnasts in the world gathered in Sydney, Australia in pursuit of the ultimate prize: gold in the all-around final. But in the midst of the competition, something inexplicable and unprecedented happened that derailed the event — a mistake that changed the gymnasts’ lives forever. Through original interviews with Olympic gymnasts, coaches and officials, Blind Landing tells the untold true story of one of the biggest mistakes in Olympic history.
In our new two-part story, “A Look At Safety In Gymnastics”, gymnasts who competed at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021 talk about the current state of safety at competitions, revealing how twenty years after the Sydney vault controversy, problems still abound when it comes to ensuring their physical safety on the competition floor.
The New York Times: 6 Podcasts to Whet Your Appetite for the Olympics
Vulture/New York Magazine: Blind Landing Jumps Into Gymnastics (and 4 More Podcasts Worth Trying)
Elle Magazine: Inside The Biggest Gymnastics Mistake In Olympics History
The Wall Street Journal: AdvertiseCast Announces Exclusive Relationship with “Blind Landing” Podcast Miniseries
CBC Radio (Canadian Public Radio) : Podcast Playlist – When Sports Meets True Crime: Podcasts About Athletic Scandals
ABC Radio National (Australian Public Radio): Sporty – Olympic Gymnastics Stuff-Up: Allana Slater Interview (starts at 1:00)
Slate: The Waves – The Olympics Are Still Sexist. Can We Enjoy Them Anyway? (starts at 33:19)
KQED: Forum – Tell Us Your Podcast Recommendations (starts at 30:14)
LA Review Of Books: Blind Landing: A Thoughtful Exploration of an Olympics Controversy
Inside Gymnastics: Blind Landing Podcast Revisits Sydney Vault Controversy
Book Talk Etc Podcast: Episode 11 – August 3rd 2021 (starts at 7:00)
The Sunday Post: Pick Of The Podcasts: Bad People, Manatomy, Blind Landing
The Guardian: Hear Here – Podcasts of the Week
The New Zealand Herald: Podcast Of The Week – Blind Landing
Great Pods: Podcast Picks Of The Week
Inside Radio: Podcasting Goes To The Tokyo Olympics
Earbuds Podcast Collective: Olympics & Sports Stories
The Gist: #366 – Olympics Edition (7.22.2021)
Keelin Reviews: Podcast Review – Blind Landing
Pod People: Issue No. 59
Circularity Weekly: Inside the Olympics
- The Vault: Part 1Elise Ray, America’s top gymnast, qualified for the 2000 Olympics with big dreams — but during the all-around final, high expectations clashed with reality and…
- The Vault: Part 2The story of the 2000 women’s gymnastics all-around final picks up with Australian gymnast Allana Slater. In the midst of the competition, Allana realized that…
- The Vault: Part 3The officials tried to solve the vault problem. Their decision had major consequences for everyone in the arena — but no one more so than…
- The Vault: Part 4Romanian gymnast Maria Olaru discusses how the vault problem might have been stopped before it even started. Olympic officials explain what was happening behind the…
- The Vault: Part 5On the final episode of Blind Landing, British gymnast Lisa Mason reflects on the culture she trained in. Elise and Allana discuss the impact that…
Host & Editor
Ari is a multimedia journalist and reporter. Currently, he works on the production team at This American Life. Before that, he was an assistant producer at KPCC. His work has appeared in The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal and New York Magazine among other publications.
Christian is the lead health reporter and audio producer at Carolina Public Press.
Myka is a freelance writer and reporter. Her stories have appeared on KPCC and KCRW, the Los Angeles NPR affiliate stations.
Jessica Taylor Price
Jessica is a freelance sports writer. Her work has appeared in Teen Vogue, ESPNW, and Bleacher Report. She is also the gymnastics writer for the women’s sports newsletter The IX.
Get in touch
Have a message for the creators of Blind Landing?
Email email@example.com or send a message in the contact form.
Follow us on social: